Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Outwalked the furthest city light

I've had Robert Frost's Acquainted with the Night poem stuck in my head intermittently for awhile now. There is something about the rhythm and feel of that poem, even though I have trouble remembering the words.

Tonight the poem really seemed to fit. I was taking recycling out to the end of our driveway and glancing at the stars peaking out from over the tree tops. Crickets sang thier summer song while a cool breeze carried the soft scents of freshness. Looking around and feeling everything the line about walking past the furthest city light hit me.

Kind of ironic in a way, from the end of our street the city skyline is visible.

2 comments:

Rhonda Parrish said...

Who knew that taking the recycling out could be so... tranquil? I had to think a moment, but that's the word I want. I think. It's kind of how I felt reading your description of taking the recycling out, with the poem going through your head. Thank you for sharing that moment :)

~ Rhonda Parrish

Geo. said...

Hello! 1st-time visitor to your excellent site. Post reminds me of poet, Masaoka Shigi, who wrote:
カブフィールドに排便。市内の遠くに点灯します。
I too see the city lights from my road and, over the years, they have got much closer.